Titration of Antacid
- What pH do you predict an antacid to be?
- Do you expect the antacid to be a strong acid, weak acid, strong base or weak base?
- Does brand of antacid matter in the effectiveness?
- Retrieve an antacid tablet from the instructor
- Crush the antacid in 100 ml of distilled water
- Transfer 50 ml of the solution to clean 250 ml beaker
- Share remaining 50 ml with another group (ensure it is a different tablet)
- if available, add 5 drops of bromocresol purple (0.04% solution) to each sample
- Measure the pH of the antacid solutions and observe color (if using bromocresol purple)
- Determine if you want to titrate with an acid or with a base
- Titrate each antacid solution with either 0.1N HCl or 0.1N NaOH in 2ml increments (you must decide)
- if using bromocresol purple, stop when yellow is reached