Extract and separate the pigments
- Lay a strip of filter paper on the bench
- about 2 cm from the bottom of the strip, place a fresh spinach leaf and rub a coin across the leaf to transfer pigment to the strip
- The instructor will be provided with a spoonful of Spirulina powder that has been soaked in 10ml acetone overnight.
- on a separate strip, the instructor will apply the Spirulina extract approximately 2cm from the bottom of the strip
- Suspend the strips by a dowel or paper clip in a tube with about 3ml chromatography solution (2 isooctane: 1 acetone: 1 diethyl ether).
- Develop the strips until the solvent reaches about 2 cm from the top
- How many different pigments separate from the spinach extract? From the spirulina?
- Are all pigments represented between the two extract?
- The mobile phase is non-polar, what are the properties of each pigment?
- Measure the Rf of each pigment.